These are heart healthy ingredients that you should include in your pantry as you pursue eating nutritionally. To convert your kitchen and pantry to become heart healthy isn’t hard at all. Start by not trying to change them out all at once – ease into it on each shopping trip adding a few things to your list each time. Try new ingredients in small amounts before committing to them. If you ease into it will be easier to make into a habit and continue. Eat Well My Friends!!!
Benefits of a Nutritionally Stocked Pantry
- You can quickly and easily make meals at home.
- If you stock it – you will eat it!
- Combined with fresh produce and fruit, you’re on your way to eating nutritionally!
Fruit & Vegetables
- Get Organic any time you can!
- Cuties brand Tangerines (its amazing how convenient these are)
- Organic Dates
- Sweet Potatoes
- Organic Romaine (or your favorite lettuce)
- Organic Spinach (I prefer Baby Spinach)
- Organic Cilantro
Milk & Cheese
- Unsweetened Non-Fat Almond Milk (sweeten with maple syrup or make your own)
- Unsweetened Non-Fat Soy Milk (sweeten with maple syrup)
- Soy-based or vegan cheeses (bricks, slices or grated)
- Soy-based Yogurts (or at least low-fat)
- Greek Yogurts (Greek yogurt is the highest in protein)
- Avocado Oil (I’ve been getting the Chosen Foods brand at Costco)
- Algae Oil (Thrive is the only one I’m aware of yet)
- Extra Virgin Olive Oil (the best is Temecula Olive Oil Company!)
Grains & Beans
- Organic Quinoa (have a variety – colored or multi-colored mixes make things visually interesting)
- Couscous (also called Pearl Pasta)
- Brown Rice
- Jasmine Rice
- Gluten-free Rolled Oats
- Organic Chickpeas
- Organic Lentils (red, green and black – make it fun)
- Organic Black Beans
- Organic Navy beans
Nuts and Seeds
- Chia Seeds
- Flax Seeds
- Pumpkin seeds
- Chickpea flour
- Brown Rice flour
- Nutritional Yeast (has many uses!)
Spices & Herbs
- See our page dedicated to Spices
- Maple Syrup (always use pure and a quality brand)
- NO Agave!
- NO Stevia or other artificial sweeteners!
- Soy or Almond Milk
- Organic Vegetable Broth
- Organic Chicken Broth
Canned or Jarred Foods
- Organic Tomatoes (I use Cento San Marzano for everything)
- Organic Tomato paste (I use Cento San Marzano for everything)
- Organic Garbanzo beans
- Organic Noodles (from Black Beans, Chickpeas, Spinach or Edamame)
- Edamame (Costco is best place to buy them)
- Salmon filets (fresh water caught – NOT farmed)
Note – I’ll be updating this page frquently