This is an old recipe that I have updated to be better nutritionally. It’s really quick to make and keeps in refrigerator for at least if week (if it lasts that long). It’s also fun to add in an Avocado so its a a little bit creamy. You can do a lot with this recipe! I’ll post my Sun Dried Tomato Pesto later.
Lance’s Cilantro PestoCourse: Lunch, Dinner, AppetizersCuisine: MediterraneanDifficulty: Easy
1 Cup Cilantro (or 1 bunch)
1/4 Cup Almonds
1/2 Cup Pine Nuts
4 Garlic cloves
1/4 Cup White Wine Vinegar
1/3 Cup Extra Virgin Olive Oil
1/8 tsp. Sea Salt
1/8 tsp. Black Pepper, cracked
1 Lime, freshly squeezed juice (about 2 oz.)
- Preheat non-stick frying pan to medium heat.
- Add Almonds and Pine Nuts.
- Slowly stir until you just begin to see Pine nuts turn a golden color.
- Pour all the toasted nuts into a food processor.
- Add Cilantro, Garlic, Vinegar, Lime Juice, Salt and Pepper.
- On a slow “Chop” setting (or Pulse setting if you prefer), slowly add Olive Oil until you get a nice medium consistency – not runny and not thick or clumped.
- Taste with a fork (so you dont get too much) and then adjust Sea Salt and Pepper to taste. It is supposed be strong with Cilantro, that’s normal but adjust to your preference.
- This is what I make Pizzas with when I want something besides a Red Pizza Sauce. Works great on Veggie Pizzas and mixed into Pasta as well.
- As an option you can spice it up as well with a Jalapeno Pepper!